Aug 20, 2013

The Tiniest Dumb Bedroom, Ever.

Okay, I know I should be writing about what has changed in the last few days since I made the jump to self-employed, and I will, I promise.  But first I just have to share a little home rehab I sucessfully conquered.  

So I have the tiniest bedroom, ever. Apparently back in 1925 people were A) very short, and B) equally tiny in circumference.  The upstairs of my bungalow boasts some claustrophobic 7-foot ceilings, and three very cozy bedrooms.  Since moving in last year I have struggled with what to do to make my space comforting (or at least bearable).  Infamous gray walls, typical white linens, crappy Berber carpet...ugh.  In fact, I was so blah about it, I didn't even bother to jazz up my bed in the below picture. Hello college dorm room! Ha.



In theory it would have made sense to keep the walls a light color since the rooms are lacking in, well, pretty much everything.  But for the past few months I've been obsessed with the combination of a dark, smokey green and yellow. (If you hop over to my Pinterest, you'll see what I mean.) 

So I went for it.  And I'm SO glad I did.


But here's the trick that I'm really excited about.  I wanted to transform the room out of its box shape.  ( I knew the dark walls would only accentuate the room's squareness.)  So I took the darker of the two greens and made the window wall stand out by painting the color up onto the ceiling into a peak, and also out onto the side walls at an angle.  This instantly tricks the eye to make the room feel bigger.  Kinda crazy how it works, actually.  Then I continued by painting a green just a few shades lighter on the side walls, and taking it up on to the ceiling 12 inches as well.  It no longer feels like a creepy closetbox, and instead reminds me of a cuddly winter cabin.  Too bad it's still 90 degrees outside. 

The linens gotta go, but since I'm on a budget, this will have to do for now...
 

4 comments:

  1. That is genius! It totally makes the space feel bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you calling me a genius!??? Best compliment even- haha thanks Jess!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Love it! Looks like vaulted ceilings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yenn! Yeah, I'm pretty proud of my craftiness on this one.

      Delete