Aug 15, 2013

Sink or Swim : I Quit My Day Job!



"Are you scared?"

"Terrified."

"Well then you're doing the right thing.  And you'll always kick yourself in the ass if you don't do it."

Such reassuring words couldn't have come at a better time.  In fact, I can't get enough of them here lately as the date approaches.  The date next Thursday when I'll get my final payroll check.  The date I've chosen to forfeit paid time off and employer health insurance.  The date where all my frivolous trips to Target, expensive cheeses, and daily bad habits will stop.

Starting tomorrow, I will be my own boss. 


The feeling I get saying those words is really hard to explain.  I think it's pretty much like when you're screaming, cussing, laughing hysterically, and drooling all at the same time on a roller coaster.  Terrified and excited.

It all started about month ago after meeting with Casey Templeton- a Richmond-based photographer ( and an amazing one at that! ) who offered me a part-time position.  I told him about my passion to grow my leather accessories business, Awl Snap, and I received the best response I could ask for:  he was willing to do anything he can to help me grow.  I would work part time helping him, and the rest of the time husslin' Awl Snap.

 My mind was made up as soon as I got back to my car after our interview.  I felt like something out in the cosmos chucked this opportunity at me and said "HERE YOU GO! Now are you going to wuss out, or roll with it!?"  Saying "yes" was the easy part because I felt it deep in all my guts.  It's all the stuff that comes after the decision that is the tough part:

What if I can't live off $100 bucks a week?  What if my marketing plans for Awl Snap don't work? What if  I lose a hand in a lawn-mowing accident?  What if I don't sell a damn thing for 9 months and I want to give up!?  What if my roof caves in, both my housemates move out, and I get cancer all at the same time?  What if I ultimately FAIL AT THE ONE THING I WANT MOST!? 

I had to shut that shit down quick.  I can recognize a black hole of self-doubt like a CHAMP.  I had to, and will forever have to stay focused, set, and motivated from here on out.  And I will have to rely hard on my amazingly supportive friends, family, and network of other Makers and entrepreneurs to really push myself.  And if I have to wear a life-jacket (or straight jacket) on occasion to keep moving forward, strap me in.

And with less than 8 hours left in my nine-to-five (of the last 6 years), and underneath a slight layer of anxiety... I'm finally starting to feel pretty damn excited.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You can be surprised how simple and cheap you can live. I have been working part-time and trying to grow my business as well...and those fears do not go away. I am sort of hitting a wall of fears and feelings of failure right now. But I know this is just the hump to get through. And honestly, I hit a wall wherever I work. Perk of being your own boss is you can make the change to move it! Your work is beautiful. Cannot wait to see where you go.

    Jess

    Pine & Boon
    http://www.pineandboon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Jess thank you so much for the sweet compliments! It means the world to me. It's comforting to find someone else in the same boat- we can be a source of motivation for each other! I'd love to chat with you more if you're up for it? I'm going to do a little digging and find your email address. And keep your head up- you're very talented and the good times will make the rough times worth it... right? RIGHT? If all get's gloomy, it never hurts to plaster your walls with a ridiculous amount of cheesy inspirational quotes. :) xo- Erin

      Delete
  2. So very proud of you for taking this huge leap! I know deep in MY guts that you did the right thing. And that you're going to be amazing. You are so freakin' talented and passionate and you've always been a huge source of inspiration and encouragement for me. I am a firm believer these days in that, if you take that first step, things will just fall into place. And of course, if they don't, well...I have the world's most uncomfortable couch that I'll let you live on for free because I just love you that much. Cheers to your newest adventure! xxoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you just get bunk beds so the boys and I can stay up late making shadow puppets? You're motivation and positivity keep me alive girl. I honestly don't know what I'd do without ya!

      Delete
  3. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! visit website

    ReplyDelete